Tuesday, November 6, 2012

What counts more than the votes

I was determined not to watch the election coverage, afraid that my nerves couldn't take it.  But here I sit, even though it's too early to call and it seems pointless, a lot of talk and speculation about what we don't yet know.  I've tried all day not to worry, and yet it creeps up from time to time, and I force back panic about what might be.  I know, or I believe, that overall, regardless of what happens, we will be fine.  My faith is not in a president or in our government, but in God.  I trust that God can work through either candidate, and yet...the polarity, the division, the mud-slinging of our country worries me.  It's nothing new, and yet, it seems more damaging, as the arguments and dissention have blocked our government from moving forward over the past four years.  I don't think a different person will solve that problem.  I think it demands a change of heart, of attitude, a spirit of cooperation from WE THE PEOPLE of the United States of America.  My fear and hopelessness rests in my doubt that this will change. 

But this I call to mind,
   and therefore I have hope:

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases,

   his mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
   great is your faithfulness. (Lamentations 3:21-23)


But this I call to mind,
   and therefore I have hope:


Maryn has been drawing and handing me multiple rainbow hearts today, and in her love I find faith.

But this I call to mind,
   and therefore I have hope:


The excitement and involvement of my students who voted, some for the first time, brings me joy and peace.

But this I call to mind,
   and therefore I have hope:


The turnout of so many in support of the right, responsibility, and privilege of voting, and the good spirits and camaraderie of those who waited in long lines with patience and unity, even in their differing political leanings.

But this I call to mind,
   and therefore I have hope:


I believe that the Church can be the answer in our hurting, broken world.

But this I call to mind,
   and therefore I have hope:



No comments:

Post a Comment