Friday, February 25, 2011

An open letter to my kids' preschools

Dear preschools,

Let me start off by saying how much I appreciate you.  You teach my children with endless patience and creativity.  You help them learn to socialize, to share, and to be fair.  You help teach them the importance of following rules and routine.  Thanks to you, my son could read at age four and my daughter is well on her way at almost 3.  You keep me sane by allowing me time away to work and get things done. 

That being said, I have a few requests:

*Please don't send "homework" for my 2-year-old.  Yes, she's bright and capable, but this is really parent work and after a day of work and 16 years of schooling myself, I'm a little done with it

*While I appreciate the rising costs of childcare (believe me, I know...much of my money goes to you), don't ask for additional money through regular fundraisers.  If you must raise costs, I think that might be preferable to me rushing last minute to the store, two kids in tow, to purchase your required monthly "donation" of wipes, paper towels, crayons, and glue sticks.  I also don't want to scrounge around the recycling bin to find egg cartons for art projects, or labels for education from messy food containers.  I don't want to buy peanut butter balls, wrapping paper, or t-shirts (not even when you require my child to have one for field trips)

*It may be cute to have "crazy week", but don't add to my craziness by sending home a list of theme days in which my child must wear a crazy hat (another last minute store run), purple polka dots, inside out clothing (which is generally the norm in my rushed state, so I won't contest that one), or dress up like who he wants to be when he grows up (which at this point he only says he wants to be "as tall as the ceiling")

Thanks for your help in these matters,
an exhausted mom

No comments:

Post a Comment